Chef in black's, personal Recipebook, I will answer any and all cooking questions and explain the science as to why things should be done a specific way.
If you didn't know.
10 facts you don't know about your food:
1. The ingredients listed on the label aren’t the only things in the food. Cancer-causing chemicals such as acrylamides may be formed in the food during high-heat processing, yet there’s no requirement to list them on the label. Residues of solvents, pesticides and other chemicals may also be present, but also do not have to be listed. The National Uniformity for Food Act, currently being debated in the U.S. Congress, would make it illegal (yes, illegal) for states to require cancer warnings on foods that contain cancer-causing chemicals (such as California’s Proposition 65.)
2. Monosodium glutamate (MSG), which is added to thousands of food and grocery products through a dozen different innocent-sounding ingredients, imbalances endocrine system function, disabling normal appetite regulation and causing consumers to keep eating more food. This chemical not only contributes to nationwide obesity, it also helps food companies boost repeat business.
3. MSG is routinely hidden in foods in these ingredients: yeast extract, torula yeast, hydrolyzed vegetable protein and autolyzed yeast. Thousands of common grocery products contain one or more of these chemical taste enhancers, including nearly all “vegetarian” foods such as veggie burgers (read labels to check).
4. ADHD in children is caused almost entirely by the consumption of processed food ingredients such as artificial colors and refined carbohydrates. Eighty percent of so-called ADHD children who are taken off processed foods are cured of ADHD in two weeks.
5. The chemical sweetener aspartame, when exposed to warm temperatures for only a few hours, begins to break down into chemicals like formaldehyde and formic acid. Formaldehyde is a potent nerve toxin and causes damage to the eyes, brain and entire nervous system. Aspartame has been strongly linked to migraines, seizures, blurred vision and many other nervous system problems.
6. Most food dips (like guacamole dip) are made with hydrogenated oils, artificial colors and monosodium glutamate. Many guacamole dips don’t even contain avocados.
7. Plastic food packaging is a potent health hazard. Scientists now know that plastics routinely seep the chemical bisphenol A into the food, where it is eaten by consumers. Cooking in plastic containers multiplies the level of exposure. Bisphenol is a hormone disruptor and can cause breast formation in men and severe hormonal imbalances in women. It may also encourage hormone-related cancers such as prostate cancer and breast cancer.
8. Milk produced in the United States comes from cows injected with synthetic hormones that have been banned in every other advanced nation in the world. These hormones help explain why unusually young teenage girls develop breasts at such a young age, or why hormone-related cancers like prostate cancer are being discovered in unprecedented numbers. In order to protect Monsanto, the manufacturer of hormones used in the industry, the USDA currently bans organic milk producers from claiming their milk comes from cows that were not treated with synthetic hormones. Even organic milk is now under fire as the Organic Consumers Association says Horizon milk products are falsely labeled as organic. See Horizon milk, Wild Oats named in consumer boycott of “false” organic products. (The solution to all this? Drink raw almond milk instead.)
9. Most grocery products that make loud health claims on their packaging are, in reality, nutritionally worthless (like meal replacement shakes, instant chocolate milk, etc.). The most nutritious foods are actually those the FDA does not allow to make any health claims whatsoever: fresh produce.
10. Food manufacturers actually “buy” shelf space and position at grocery stores. That’s why the most profitable foods (and hence, the ones with the lowest quality ingredients) are the most visible on aisle end caps, checkout lanes and eye-level shelves throughout the store. The effect of all this is to provide in-store marketing and visibility to the very foods and beverages that promote obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease and other degenerative conditions now ravaging consumers around the world
Did you know carrots were originally purple, and occasionally, yellow and white? In the late 16th century, Dutch farmers used mutant strains of the heirloom carrot, by crossing yellow and white ones, which gradually developed the common sweet orange carrot we have today.
The purple pigment in heirloom carrots is anthocyanin. Anthocyanins are a type of flavonoid, which give many fruits and vegetables their deep rich colours. They have anti-oxidant effects, and may also have anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, and even cancer-preventing effects.
Some think the reason the orange carrot became so popular in the Netherlands was in tribute to the emblem of the House of Orange and the struggle for Dutch independence. While this is possible, it also might have just been because orange carrots are sweeter and often more plump.
Food not for thought:
Food facts & FAQs
Food is medicine.
I don't drink milk here is why...
Unfortunately it's true! Ama's last day will be July 25th...We want to thank all of our fans...and we hope you will come in at least one last time and get your fill of Oysters and Chef Jared's fantastic food!
Hot Wings - Cold Brew - Big Fun. That's what you'll always find on the menu at Wing Dome. Visit us in Greenwood and Kirkland. And tweet to us @TheWingDome!
Like our Belltown location too: www.facebook.com/Buckleys.In.Belltown
restaurants | catering | street food | bacon jam
Vegan is our middle name.
Elliott Bay Brewing Co. is a family owned company of high quality neighborhood brewpubs in communities throughout the Seattle area.
Best deck in the city!
Your Capitol Hill neighborhood bar with trivia, live music, rotating beers and killer food!
Poppy is Jerry Traunfeld's Capitol Hill restaurant, inspired by a "thali," a platter served to each guest holding a variety of small dishes, like a tasting menu served all at once. Poppy's thali changes daily to present Jerry's style of Northwest
Sign up on our website to have exclusive deals delivered directly to your inbox! http://bit.ly/xmtrz